Land Acquisition + Development Manager
Location: Tampa, Florida
We’re innovative. We’re customer centric. We’re experience focused. We embrace the changing ideal of what and where people call home. We also believe in our formula for success – talented team collaborating with integrity, always executing, always innovating, while transforming neighborhoods and enhancing peoples’ lives.
Onyx+East is a full-service home builder including development, construction, marketing, design, and sales – focused on serving clients seeking walkable neighborhoods and homes that make their life more connected and convenient. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Onyx+East is comprised of inspired and industrious individuals who are passionate about active lifestyles, exceptional customer experiences and creating solutions for neighborhoods that positively impact communities.
The Land Acquisition and Development Manager is responsible for managing new development projects including site identification, market research, site density study, concept design/product mix, zoning entitlements and government approvals, architecture/engineering team management, feasibility studies, development projections, and investor packages. This position will be located in the Florida market and will work closely with O+E’s Florida’s Director of Land Acquisition and Development (“Director”). The position includes leading the due diligence process for each development, including researching locations and land positions that will fit O+E model and product, underwriting the specific developments/projects and supporting the Director to bring these projects through investment committee. This person will also lead the procurement of entitlements, utility approvals and project closing documentation. This person will work in conjunction with various team members including Construction Operations, Land Development, Finance/Accounting, Sales and Marketing through the planning and execution of multiple projects across multiple markets.
Key Duties + Responsibilities
- Pursue and evaluate new land opportunities, conduct market research, proforma analyses, site plans to determine feasibility for investment and development.
- Responsible for the execution of new projects, engineering/design and entitlement process in assigned O+E markets.
- Manage and coordinate all efforts to obtain entitlements, permits, and rights required for assigned projects.
- Identify key site development challenges, processes and requirements; and communicate to team members.
- Manage due diligence processes including environmental studies, title review, geotech, surveys, etc.
- Collaborate with development teams (in collaboration with appropriate O+E departments) including architects, engineers and legal for the successful entitlement and design of the development.
- Collaborate with other O+E departments to ensure implementation of development vision; ensure engineering, architecture, and designs are progressing to plan with O+E brand, market-based standards, and product price point/features, as well as project details in landscaping, trash, walkways, alleys, utilities, etc.
- Conduct site/predevelopment coordination meetings in conjunction with Construction, Construction Operations and Site Development teams.
- Keep current on market intelligence, including data on comparable properties, supply and demand metrics, micro and macro trends, municipalities requirements, competitors and vendors.
- Create and manage predevelopment budget including negotiation of contracts with partners and overall execution of entitlement schedule. Keep approved projects on track for budgeted start date.
- Maintain project dashboards including calendars, critical dates, design status, entitlement milestones, and legal items, to ensure land purchaser obligations and deadlines are being met.
- Assist in preparation of Investment Committee packages and ensure data such as concept plans/specs, market studies, proposals, budgets, and schedules are accurate and timely.
- Assist Finance/Accounting teams with creating proformas, finance packages, and development related closing documentation
- Support Director to create packages and presentation of projects to Investment Committee providing necessary market research and underwriting specifics
- Establish and maintain key relationships with market professionals, brokers, government leaders, and other key stakeholders
- Represent and promote the O+E brand in public forums, industry events, etc.
- Assist in the oversight of current O+E projects and 3rd parties within assigned market
- Other duties as assigned
Experience + Skill Requirements
- Minimum of five years of experience in architecture, engineering, real estate acquisitions, development, or urban/city planning
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, ideally specializing in Civil Engineering, Business, Real Estate, Architecture, Landscape Architecture or Urban Planning
- Strong project management and negotiation capabilities
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organizational, time management, and planning skills; ability to juggle multiple tasks and projects concurrently
- Experience with graphics and technology
- Experience with site development and construction
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Stress tolerance