Director of Construction
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Position Reports To: Vice President of Operations
We’re innovative. We’re customer centric. We’re experience focused. We embrace the changing ideal of what and where people call home. We also believe in our formula for success – talented team collaborating with integrity, always executing, always innovating, while transforming neighborhoods and enhancing peoples’ lives. Onyx+East is a full-service home builder including development, construction, marketing, design, and sales – focused on serving clients seeking walkable neighborhoods and homes that make their life more connected and convenient. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Onyx+East is comprised of inspired and industrious individuals who are passionate about active lifestyles, exceptional customer experiences and creating solutions for neighborhoods that positively impact communities.
The Director of Construction is responsible for leading and directing all aspects of vertical and site development construction in the market. The role will work with leadership to define construction strategy, drive execution, and deliver results to meet business goals and objectives. The Director of Construction will work to build and grow the overall construction operation, team, and culture. The position will work closely with all departments in the company including construction operations, development, sales, design, and finance to help deliver best class service with clients and vendors.
Key Duties + Responsibilities
Director of Construction will be responsible for leading the construction department to achieve business objectives while maintaining company values and vision as it relates entire construction process, meeting customer commitments, and delivering high-quality homes on schedule. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build, lead, and develop Site Development, Vertical Construction, and Warranty teams in the market.
- Demonstrate leadership in all interactions, initiatives, and relationships that are consistent with Onyx+East business strategy and values.
- Key member of market leadership team responsible for growing the operation, delivering business results, and building the Onyx+East culture.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with internal team, trade partners, and suppliers to promote a positive overall culture.
- Deliver excellence in customer satisfaction from pre-construction through closing.
- Ensure team delivers high quality homes to meet or exceed established standards. Drive improvement in overall quality program and execution.
- Manage the planning, design review, budget, and execution of site development.
- Responsible for all construction activities, including the development and refinement of project schedules and overall production flow across all projects.
- Develop, implement, and communicate construction techniques and production processes.
- Oversee all warranty activities to ensure quality workmanship and customer satisfaction.
- Complete construction projects on time, within budget, and within quality standards, to meet business performance expectations.
- Possess a thorough and complete knowledge and understanding of the construction contract, specifications, civil plans, architectural plans, and scopes of work.
- Assist in the value engineering of all construction products and procedures.
- Monitor variance spend and strategize with department managers to identify and correct recurring or preventable problems.
- Ensure all job site activities comply with the company’s established safety policies and procedures as well as with OSHA/EPA requirements.
- Ensure all models and projects/communities meet established appearance standards.
- Approve purchase orders and variances as required.
- Coordinates with pre-construction planning, finance, construction operations, sales, and design teams.
- Actively participates in leadership and strategy meetings