Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Onyx+East is a residential developer/homebuilder that delivers well-crafted and designed homes to our clients. We focus on building in walkable, lasting locations ensuring that each property provides comfort, livability, convenience, viability, and practicality. We are committed to serving our clients through offering a quality project, maintaining transparent communication, and encouraging a relationship for an exceptional experience, rather than a mere transaction. We are thinkers. We are visionaries. We are envelope pushers. We work towards ensuring that our residents live with a sense of comfort, community, and sustainability within our developments.
The Development Associate is responsible for coordinating a broad scope of development activities and company initiatives to best prepare projects and products for construction, including for-sale and for-rent product types in the Indiana market. The individual will assist in the feasibility of potential opportunities and will be responsible for coordinating the Onyx+East development process which includes multiple third-party consultants, various jurisdictions and city staff, and other department team members. The position requires strong communication skills among team members and project details to ensure a smooth turnover into construction. The ideal candidate should possess a high level of attention to detail, strong sense of creativity and design, exceptional project management skills, and the ability to work closely with internal and external team members to reach our shared goals. The position will be expected to work with various departments and leaders within the company but will report to the Indiana Director of Development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT + DESIGN
- Support the Development Manager with identifying new site opportunities that are consistent with the O+E brand and products.
- Research property information related to dimensions, zoning, and other due diligence related items to evaluate for various products and layouts.
- Assist with conceptual site and product designs to illustrate the vision of site opportunities. • Prepare project proformas and financial analysis.
- Assist in researching and compiling project costs for the development as they relate to all soft and hard costs in the proforma.
- Solicit proposals for due diligence materials for the project such as survey, title, environmental, and geo-tech studies.
- Solicit proposals for design related materials for the project such as civil engineering, landscape architecture, and architecture.
- Participate in meetings with planning staff and neighborhood groups for project entitlements.
- Assist the Development Manager throughout the entitlement process to obtain necessary project approvals and permits for zoning, platting, civil engineering approvals, etc.
- Ensure construction documents are consistent with the development team’s vision.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT + EXECUTION
- Research and track project related revenue and costs associated with construction and development to ensure accurate and up to date underwriting.
- Track and update project proformas throughout the lifespan of the pre-development process.
- Participate in weekly reoccurring team meetings throughout the lifespan of the project with other O+E Departments including the project pipeline, pre-development, construction development, product development, and project launch meetings.
- Maintain project dashboards including calendars, critical dates, design status, entitlement milestones, and legal items, to ensure land purchaser obligations and deadlines are being met.
- Continue to be a development resource for other team members once the project has closed and is in the construction phase.
- Review and coordinate project invoices and payment requests when necessary.
Experience and Skill Requirements
- Minimum of three years of experience in architecture, engineering, real estate, finance, commercial development, homebuilding, or urban/city planning.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, ideally specializing in civil engineering, business, real estate, architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or city planning.
- Significant experience in Microsoft Office products, including Excel.
- Strong project management and organizational capabilities.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent time management and planning skills; ability to juggle tasks and projects concurrently.
- Experience with graphics and technology.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong sense of creative visioning and design.
- Proven analytical skills and problem analysis.
- Motivated and self-driving.
- Enjoy an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.